ammosmith.com Forums
July 24, 2014, 10:19:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CFE .223 powder and 55Gr VMax?  (Read 5260 times)
GunGrinner
Newbie - Stand back

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2012, 09:07:13 PM »

I bought some CFE .223 powder and so far it meters great. At 27.2 grains however, i am shooting a horrible group at 100 yards with my AR. Has anyone worked with this powder and will it work with 55gr Vmax bullets? Should i go to a compressed load?

-Machine Gunners -- Accuracy by Volume
-"Except For Ending Slavery, Fascism, Nazism, and Communism, WAR -       has Never Solved Anything.
-One Shot, Twelve Kills -- USN/AF Gun Fire Support"
-Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Brawl
ammosmith.com Forums
« on: September 18, 2012, 09:07:13 PM »

NicNac
Ammosmith Supporter
More dies than guns

Gunny P-Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 10:18:07 PM »

What is the current load Data for CFE 223 with a 55gr bullet? Is the max load a compressed load? Did you work your load up from min. charge or just start at 27.7gr's?  Tell us some more back ground please.
I would not want a compressed load in my gun, but thats just me.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
NRA-Life Member
"A free people ought... to be armed"  ~George Washington; some dead guy, Jan. 8, 1790
tripples
Expert Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 01:27:24 AM »

Just wondering if you have shot 55 grain bullets in the past in this rifle? How was the accuracy? How bad are your groups?

Did you start out at 27.2 grains? What brass are you using commercial or mil serp? Are you using mixed brass or sorted brass? What twist barrel do you have?

Here is the load data listed for CFE223 with a 55 grain bullet

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

At 27.2 you are on the high end and I would hope that you didn't start there especially if you are using mil serp brass. I am not saying that you are at an unsafe level. But I haven't found the best accuracy when loading to the max in any of my Ar's. With that said I will say I have not used CFE223, but have not heard any bad things about it. Personally I would back your load off to somewhere around 25.0 and work up in 1/2 grain increments to see where you get the best accuracy.

I have found that load data for 223 is very broad depending on the bullet that is used. I personally like a boat tail bullet better myself. Have you tried H335 or Varget? I have been using Varget and have great results with it. H335 proved just as well as Varget but I use Varget in my 308 so its easier to buy 1 powder for both.

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. George Washington”
Bro KV
Newbie - Stand back

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 07:14:48 PM »

H335 requires magnum primers?
Z.G.
Newbie - Stand back

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 07:22:55 PM »

I've tried 26.0 gr,  26.3 gr, 26.8 gr and 27.3 gr of CFE 223 with Hornady 55 gr FMJBT W/C.  None of those loads were very accurate. I actually got better accuracy out of the 26.8 gr than 27.3gr, so I will probably back off and try 27.0 gr next and not try anything over 27.3 gr.

24.8 gr of Hogdon's H335 is very accurate out of my (1:9 twist) AR15 with Hornady 55 gr FMJBT W/C bullets. So after I use up the CFE 223 I am only going to buy Hogdon's H335.  Hogdon's H335 does not require magnum primers. I use regular CCI 400 Small Rifle Primers in my AR15.
tripples
Expert Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 08:59:14 AM »

I as well have not had the need for magnum primers when using H335 either. In fact I also use CCI 400 primers as my standard primers and never had a problem.

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. George Washington”
GunGrinner
Newbie - Stand back

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 03:43:44 PM »

I'm shooting just a standard 20" barrel ar and also a 16" ar. I am not using mil surplus brass with this powder. I originally bought the cfe powder to replace my 4895 powder due to metering issues. I have tried varget and it of course does not meter very well through my dillion. Does h335 powder meter well?

-"Except For Ending Slavery, Fascism, Nazism, and Communism, WAR -       has Never Solved Anything.
fla9-40
More dies than guns

- GO NOLES! 2013 National Champions

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »

My 1:7 AR HATES anything under 62gr no matter what the powder I try.

A gun is kind of like a parachute;
if you need one and don't have one,
you'll probably never need one again
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Welcome to my home..........FYI... that locked door you kicked down was for your protection....not mine.
tripples
Expert Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 06:03:41 PM »

Yes H335 does meter well. I haven't had a problem with Varget what causes it to not meter well for you? Because its an extruded powder?
Does your Dillon powder measure have a baffle in it? I would be curious to see if it helps by keeping a smaller amount of powder weight on the internals of the powder measure.

GunGrinner
Newbie - Stand back

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 07:14:25 PM »

Extruded powders do not meter well in my dillion. I typically get 3-4 g grains difference when using varget. There is a baffle installed on the powder dispenser and it still does not like extruded powders
        Right now I'm shooting 26.2 grains under a 55 grain bullet using my electronic powder dispenser however I'm looking to speed up production. That load gets me shooting on a dime at 100yards. I will be trying the 26.8 load as recommended then try h335. Worst case scenerio;  use the rest of my cfe powder up with a  bullet change. I will post my cfe results for everyone to see.

ammosmith.com Forums
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 07:14:25 PM »

NicNac
Ammosmith Supporter
More dies than guns

Gunny P-Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 09:43:18 PM »

Looking forward to your results of the CFE powder. I use Tac, Varget and XBR 8208 for my .223.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
NRA-Life Member
"A free people ought... to be armed"  ~George Washington; some dead guy, Jan. 8, 1790
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: