ammosmith.com Forums
September 02, 2014, 11:32:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Rust or copper fouling in new barrel? (pics!)  (Read 3447 times)
FightFireJay
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2012, 11:21:39 PM »

Here is my brand new M&P 40 Shield... The whole thing is slathered with oil except the inside of the barrel, I presumes because of factory test firing.

The barrel appears to have either rust or extreme copper fouling which I have never seen on my Glock or M&P Pro 40.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Jay
ammosmith.com Forums
« on: September 12, 2012, 11:21:39 PM »

FightFireJay
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 11:37:54 AM »

Update...
I called S&W customer service and the person I talked to didn't seem to concerned.  He says they often change brands of ammo for test firing and may need to fire a mag or two if they need to adjust sights or make other adjustments.

He also rambled off something about how it's not broach cut rifling anymore, they use ECR rifling process now.  I don't know if that makes a difference in picking up copper fouling.

Anyways, he said to clean it real well and shoot it and if there are any problems to have it sent back after shooting it.

I guess I should worry less and just clean it and shoot it.

-Jay
SquirrelHollow
Expert Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 02:14:45 PM »

Looks like rust.

Clean it.
Shoot it.
Take a look.
FightFireJay
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 02:58:30 PM »

Update...
Called the dealer I purchased them from, sent them pictures. I thought they were going to help me out, but they advices me to contact S&W via email not phone.

So I wrote it all up in a nice email... Along with a new complaint, a horrible crown on a second shield I purchased.  I am now awaiting reply.

All three of my S&W M&Ps are very well laid out and put together, with the weak point being the barrels (the crown on my M&P pro is ugly as well.)
Hoss
More dies than guns

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 03:10:25 PM »

Those are good, clear pictures, yet it is still difficult to tell what it might be. Rust would be a natural conclusion.

Make no mistake, the only reason that they want to take your guns is so that they can do things to you that they couldn't if you keep  your guns.

For among other evils caused by being disarmed, it renders you contemptible; which is one of those disgraceful things which a free man must guard against.

What we plant in the soil of contemplation, we shall reap in the harvest of action.
FightFireJay
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 02:35:30 AM »

It's difficult for me to tell in person.  I've never seen the Inside of a barrel rust and I've never seen copper fouling that bad, so I don't have anything to reference.  Someone suggested burnished in grease/oil, but I don't have any experience with that either.
FYI, All pics taken with my iPhone 4S!  Ain't technology grand?
jprice
Ammosmith Supporter
More dies than guns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 05:57:33 PM »

To be honest to me it looks like copper fouling. The red that I see is in the grooves and not on the lands. They my have a rough barrel and needs some lapping and cleaning.

Si Vi Pacem Parabellum

http://algunjunkie.webs.com
tsxshooter
Expert Reloader

YOu learn the most from the deer you miss

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 07:26:28 PM »

Look more like cooper to me. I would expect a redder color with rust.

Take some cr-10 or other ammonia cleaner and see if the color changes. Then its copper

clean then throw some wd-40 and see if color changes.

If its rust I would send it back...

FightFireJay
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 09:20:27 PM »

I holding off on doing anything to the barrel until I get a response from S&W.  I don't want to "destroy the evidence" in case they want a better look.
mdr8088
More dies than guns

Easter Bunny love 2A

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 11:14:27 AM »

My barrel on that old Jennings I use to shoot got like that when I shot my copper plated bullets. Never could get the plating to stay on.  Just an idea.

Cat's aren't bad, I love Chinese food!
ammosmith.com Forums
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 11:14:27 AM »

FightFireJay
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 11:33:14 AM »

I got things cleared up with S&W.  The rep that saw the pictures confirmed that the level of copper fouling is not common but not unheard of.  I went ahead and cleaned the barrel, and low and behold, my patches came out blue/green, so it was definitely copper, although I have never seen so much.  If it continues to foul badly after several hundred rounds I should send it back and presumably the barrel will be replaced.

The 9mm, however, is getting shipped back because of the ugly crown.  No cost to me for shipping, other than I won't be able to shoot it for awhile.  Hopefully it comes back with a nice pretty crown and no other issues.
dirtshooter
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 06:57:34 PM »

If it eases your mind buddy, not long ago I had a brand new smitty 686, right out of the box the cylinder felt full of sand when spun and the hammer seized up badly. I also told them I wasn't happy with the grip fit or the loose front sight, they replaced the grips to nice rubber moulded grips. New sturdy front sight. And a few other fixes. It came back almost a totally different and ultra nice. They should take care of you just fine. My turn around was like 3 weeks total

Remington 700, custom built 6.5 grendel, kimber tle 1911, mossberg 500, smitty 686, bushy m4, ruger 10/22
FightFireJay
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 11:49:11 PM »

Actually, I have been surprised by the little Shield 40.  It has less and less copper fouling each time I shoot it and it's actually quite accurate!

Thanks for the anecdote, sounds like your pistol was much worse off than mine!
FightFireJay
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 12:46:07 PM »

This is an old thread I know, but I thought a little update was appropriate.

I recently took out my M&P Shield 40, using a load of 4.6 gr TG under Berry's plated 155gr hbtc.  Not quite a full power load, but super accurate in this gun and NO copper fouling at all!  I can't tell you how happy I am with this gun.

I also fed it some of the bullets over 4.0 gr of TG, for a load that replicates 9mm energy levels and my wife loved that.

The only thing I have done to it so far is swapping out the stock sear for the sear from my M&P Pro, I am undecided on sights, torn between Truglo TFO and a Ameriglo Pro dot front with "operator" rear night sights.

I took my time sending in the M&P Shield 9 back to S&W to have the barrel recrowned/replaced as it was not finished right, so I am still awaiting its return.  I am hoping my wife will enjoy it and keep it for her carry gun.
Ammosmith
Global Moderator
More dies than guns

Shoot safe and live free!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 09:04:29 PM »

Fouling...looks like less than desireable alloy in the jacket material.

“I never knew many Marines who were only a 'little' dangerous. Most of them seem to be a LOT dangerous. That, I think, is the idea.” ~ Capt. Toby Houghs, USAF
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: