ammosmith.com Forums
September 02, 2014, 06:29:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Manual/Automatic Case Trimmer  (Read 2489 times)
Bro KV
Newbie - Stand back

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2012, 01:03:22 AM »

What does everyone use?
ammosmith.com Forums
« on: September 02, 2012, 01:03:22 AM »

fla9-40
More dies than guns

- GO NOLES! 2013 National Champions

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 07:39:28 AM »

Bro KV WELCOME to the forum! Lots of good folks here willing to help and share!

I have two different trimmers. One that does my .223 it's the WFT or Worlds Finest Trimmer from Little Crow Gunworks, and my .308 I use a tool from a company here in Florida called "CTS Engineering Inc." Both do a fine job but the CTS is about $20 cheaper. I am supposed to send CTS one of my 7mm Magnum brass to make me one for it, but just have not done so yet.
I also have a Foster trimmer I use on my 7.62x25 from 5.56mm cases because I can ream the inside of the neck and trim them at the same time.

A gun is kind of like a parachute;
if you need one and don't have one,
you'll probably never need one again
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Welcome to my home..........FYI... that locked door you kicked down was for your protection....not mine.
357shooter
More dies than guns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 08:11:33 AM »

I shoot all handguns calibers, and don't use one at all.

What are you reloading for?  I assume rifle, but my assumptions have been wrong a few time!   cool cool cool

Rossi M92 Lever Action
Taurs 669
Kel-Tec P-3AT
http://357shooter.blogspot.com/
FightFireJay
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 11:30:26 AM »

I shoot all handguns calibers, and don't use one at all.

What are you reloading for?  I assume rifle, but my assumptions have been wrong a few time!   cool cool cool
357shooter - does that include 9mm?  My .40 brass shrinks a bit when I put it through the bulge buster before loading... But my 9mm seems to get longer when I load it at I am worried I ought to be measuring and trimming it.

For 5.56/.223 I use a Forster trimmer with the cutting head that trims, chamfers, and deburs all in one.  When used with the power attachment / power drill it makes quick work a bucket of cleaned/sized brass.
357shooter
More dies than guns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 01:01:53 PM »

It includes 380acp and 45acp (when I loaded it).  Haven't loaded for 9mm.

Rossi M92 Lever Action
Taurs 669
Kel-Tec P-3AT
http://357shooter.blogspot.com/
pgeobc
Read the manual

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 02:23:24 PM »

I own a Sinclair-Wilson with micrometer, two Forsters, and a Giraud (sp?) power trimmer, I have owned and used Lees, Forster powered, Lyman and a few others.

For average, everyday use, buy a Forster. They are simple; they have relatively inexpensive adaptors; and they are as precise, or more so, than any other. They work for pistol and rifle and can be adapted to a very wide range of cartridges, long and short.

If you want to do large lots of bottle-necked rifle cases, the Giraud power case trimmer just cannot be beat.

L.E. Wilson and the Sinclair adapted version of the unit, are also very precise and work exceedingly well. There are some specially adapted tools for this unit.

All the rest are, IMHO, second best.

Geo.
SquirrelHollow
Expert Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 02:24:41 PM »

I use a Hornady lathe-style trimmer (manual, of course).

But, I don't trim semi-auto handgun brass, or even some revolver brass.

The trimmer generally only sees rifle cases, and the occasional batch of .32 H&R, .327 Federal, or .44 Mag.

My semi-auto handguns cause the same thing most shooters encounter: the brass "shrinking" with repeated reloads.  To try to keep crimps consistent, I sort by head stamp and condition, then estimate the number of times fired.  Before loading a large batch on my progressive press, I'll line a few hundred cases up, at a time.  I take a look for outliers (short or long) and pull them from the group.  If they're excessively short or long, I just toss them in the recycling bucket.  This is the slowest year I've had since 2007, but I still managed to gather about 160 lbs of range pickup brass.  So, common semi-auto cartridges aren't exactly in short supply in my reloading room.  wink
HybridDrivingConservative
Newbie - Stand back

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 07:36:05 PM »

I have two different trimmers. One that does my .223 it's the WFT or Worlds Finest Trimmer from Little Crow Gunworks, and my .308 I use a tool from a company here in Florida called "CTS Engineering Inc." Both do a fine job but the CTS is about $20 cheaper. I am supposed to send CTS one of my 7mm Magnum brass to make me one for it, but just have not done so yet.
I also have a Foster trimmer I use on my 7.62x25 from 5.56mm cases because I can ream the inside of the neck and trim them at the same time.

+1 to World's Finest Trimmer.  I have one in .223 and 300 blackout.  both make easy work of alot of brass.  Also, for the price, the Lee Zip Trim cannot be beat (if doing small batches). I started with the Zip, but moved up to WFT. But my zip trim still occupies a special spot on my bench.

http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html

Dale can make just about any trimmer you need. just shoot him an email.

only crooked politicians fear armed citizens
---------------------------------------------------------------

40 S&W, 45 ACP, 45 colt, 5.7x28mm, 223 rem, 300 AAC BLKOUT, 308 win, 22-250
joe0121
Newbie - Stand back

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 05:46:36 PM »

I plan on buying one of these. Makes perfect sense, indexing off the neck. I let rifle chamber form the brass. I neck size. Keeps the brass from being sized up and back down. Should keep my .300 win brass going.
skyegod
Expert Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 08:24:21 PM »

The wtf looks awesome, pricey - but good
ammosmith.com Forums
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 08:24:21 PM »

Hoss
More dies than guns

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 09:30:40 PM »

I own a Sinclair-Wilson with micrometer, two Forsters, and a Giraud (sp?) power trimmer, I have owned and used Lees, Forster powered, Lyman and a few others.

For average, everyday use, buy a Forster. They are simple; they have relatively inexpensive adaptors; and they are as precise, or more so, than any other. They work for pistol and rifle and can be adapted to a very wide range of cartridges, long and short.

If you want to do large lots of bottle-necked rifle cases, the Giraud power case trimmer just cannot be beat.

L.E. Wilson and the Sinclair adapted version of the unit, are also very precise and work exceedingly well. There are some specially adapted tools for this unit.

All the rest are, IMHO, second best.

What do you consider 'large' lots? How durable is the Forster power adapted unit? How fast?

Make no mistake, the only reason that they want to take your guns is so that they can do things to you that they couldn't if you keep  your guns.

For among other evils caused by being disarmed, it renders you contemptible; which is one of those disgraceful things which a free man must guard against.

What we plant in the soil of contemplation, we shall reap in the harvest of action.
pgeobc
Read the manual

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 08:50:25 AM »

"What do you consider 'large' lots? How durable is the Forster power adapted unit? How fast?"

Well, that has to be a personal decision; it depends on your tolerance for doing hand operaations. I usually don;t mess with the Giraud for lots less than 500=1000 cases. It is tedious to change calibers. The Giraud is really classy equipment, though.

Forester equipment is durable eoungh to satisfy anhybody. It was one of the very original power or power-adapted trimmers and it is still around. It beats the hand version, but is slower than the Goraud. Forester equipment is easy to change to another caliber.

Geo.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: