ammosmith.com Forums
April 16, 2014, 09:08:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Berry's 165gr .40 s&w data  (Read 3692 times)
srtolly
Read the manual

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2012, 06:56:04 PM »

The books that I have don't show data for 165gr plated bullets. I know rule of thumb is to use lead data but I don't seem to have that either, at least for Unique powder. Berry's website says to use low to mid plated data. Anyone have experience with these bullets and powder?

All help is appreciated.
ammosmith.com Forums
« on: August 25, 2012, 06:56:04 PM »

noylj
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 08:02:45 PM »

165gn is a great bullet weight for .40S&W, but it has not received a lot of attention. I find that 145gn bullets are even better in my guns, and that weight is also quite neglected.
Then, add in the fact that "most" manuals are trying to cover all the new powders, and old powders like Unique tend to be ignored.
Here is a summary of the few loads I have compiled from various reloading manuals:
Bullet   Weight   Powder   Weight   Velocity   Note   P.F.   COL
Berry's P-FP   165   Unique   6.0   1020      168   1.135
Spr TMJ   165   Unique   5.4   952   Start   157   
Spr TMJ   165   Unique   6.0   1034   Max   171   
Spr TMJ-FN/GDHP   165   Unique   6.2   882   Start   146   
Spr GD TMJ/GDHP   165   Unique   6.2   882      146   
Sierra-JHP   165   Unique   6.5      Start   0   
Spr GDHP   165   Unique   7.2   1064   Max   176   1.120

I would start at 4.8gn and work up to 6.0gn, watching for pressure signs. Note the fact that one source found 6.0gn to be a max load for jacketed bullets in their gun using their components, so approach 6.0gn with all normal caution. The fact that the source shows a velocity of 1034fps indicates that they were achieving peak pressure.
I would probably be satisfied at about 5.5gn if accuracy is good and the gun functions.
If you ever decide to try another powder, I find that AA5 is fantastically accurate with almost all bullets in .40S&W (but don't try to push up to MAX loads) and Silhouette, at closer to MAX pressure is almost as good. 231/HP38 is also a well-behaved powder with .40.
Be sure to check your loads for bullet pull, as the .40 is even more temperamental about bullet set-back then the 9x19. I don't think there is another cartridge out there that KBs as easily as the .40.

I will remind you what the road to hell is paved with…good intentions. When you decide you know better than someone else how their life should be lived, you are on the road to becoming the next Dark Lord.
srtolly
Read the manual

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 09:16:41 PM »

Talk about details. Thanks noylj, I was thinking about starting at 5gr. One of my pistols is a Hipoint and I need it to be able to cycle that heavy slide, blowback design. Would that make a difference?
FightFireJay
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 12:43:25 AM »

I agree with Noylj, 165 gr is an excellent all around bullet for the 40.  I have also had good luck with hollowbase 155gr from Berry's, but they are a little snappier.

There is a fair amount of Unique load data in the Lee manual. It is a hodgepodge collection of load data, but that is good because it has some of everything.

If your hi point will cycle fine with standard factory ammo, then I wouldn't think you'd have anything different to worry about from most semi auto shooting reloaders.
srtolly
Read the manual

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 10:32:25 AM »

Update: I started at 4.8 gr of unique and worked up to 5.1 gr. Loaded 10 rounds of each and went to the range. I was shooting supported at 10 yds. I'm a new reloader and this is the first time I've done load development to see what shoots best in a particular gun so seeing the differences was cool. I'll try to post pics later.

The gun is a HiPoint JCP that I purchased new and have put about 600 rounds through.

4.8 gr was far right on the target and only 8 of 10 hit the target. Could have been me, maybe.

4.9 gr came closer to center and all 10 were on the target but the group was about 6".

5.0 gr was dead on with about a 3" group. This was acceptable to me.

5.1 gr was still pretty good bu the group opened up a little.

I'm going to use this gun for USPSA tonight and see how it does.
srtolly
Read the manual

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 09:14:32 AM »

This was my best target. Gun was a HiPoint JCP.

The high flyer was my bad when a guy on the rifle range fired a 30.06.
shawn dow
Newbie - Stand back

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 07:19:20 PM »

Srtolly,
Not that I have a recipe for you, but I shoot the rainier ballistics plated 180 HP's (in my Hi-point 4095 carbine and Springfield XDM).. I know they are not the same as what you shoot (bullet or gun)... BUT I got my load data from LEE with my Pro 100 turret press... unfortunately Lee does not list 165 gr. anything. Are you restricted to a bullet wt. class in your competitions? If not.. the 180's I shoot cycle both my XDM and Hi-piont carbine just fine. The carbine is just a larger version of your handgun. The XDM hits all 16 on the paper at 25 yards (sorry no photo).... and here is a pic of 7 yards... Forgive me I'm no marksman!

And yes... there are 16 holes there... and if it matters... the 4095 carbine at 50 yards....

Again... my daughter and I are no marksmen..and woman... yes...at 50 yards we both missed once.
But this is rainier ballistics 180 gr HP's with 4.3 gr of bullseye... for both guns.

You cant prevent the inevitable... only alter it's time span.
shawn dow
Newbie - Stand back

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 07:48:30 PM »

Sorry, I know my info and the data your after is like comparing pizza to grape fruit. I'm sorry for going astray.

You cant prevent the inevitable... only alter it's time span.
srtolly
Read the manual

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 08:29:55 PM »

Shawn, I'm no marksman either, I just have fun. Daughters are awesome, I have 4 and 2 like to shoot but have had to slack off due to motherhood. I'm looking forward to teaching my grandkids now too.

I'll give the ranier 180 a try if I can find them locally. Thanks and keep shooting with your daughter.
noylj
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 04:25:26 PM »

Rainier 180gn Flat nose is $248/2000, freight included, at MidwayUSA.
Montana Gold JACKETED 180gn CMJ (for those that don't like exposed lead at the base) $325/2500, shipping included.
This is a difference of 12 cents for plated compared to 13 cents for a high quality and accurate jacketed bullet. For my guns, the extra cent is well worth the money.

I will remind you what the road to hell is paved with…good intentions. When you decide you know better than someone else how their life should be lived, you are on the road to becoming the next Dark Lord.
ammosmith.com Forums
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 04:25:26 PM »

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: