ammosmith.com Forums
October 24, 2014, 06:57:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ruger American Rifle vs Remington 700 vs Savage...  (Read 11423 times)
ArrowJ
Read the manual

View Profile WWW
« on: July 08, 2012, 07:04:58 PM »

First, this needs to be in a future issue of Gun Tests if it has not already been there and missed by me. Second, have any of you guys had a chance to do any accuracy comparisons with these...particularly the Ruger vs one of the others?
ammosmith.com Forums
« on: July 08, 2012, 07:04:58 PM »

Mighty Mosin
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 01:27:39 AM »

Bump.

Anyone? I'm really curious about the Ruger as well.

Initial reports from the gun mags have been favorable and the price isn't bad.
Charger
Read the manual

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 08:01:13 AM »

A guy I work with has an American in 30-06 with a 3-9x40 Redfield Revenge on it. Every time we have gone to the range he has been shooting sub MOA groups at 100 yards with an assortment of factory ammo. (Hornady 165gr btsp, Remington 165gr corlok, Winchester 180gr Super x) I haven't heard anything bad about the gun yet.

I still like my two savages in 300 WSM and 7mm-08, I've been holding a one inch group at 200 yards with the 300 WSM with the first hand load I tried with it.
Hoss
More dies than guns

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 10:33:49 AM »

I've never held either one of those rifles. Not a huge difference between them; here are reviews of the two rifles by the same guy:

"Ruger American Rifle: Winning Features" by Nutnfancy

"Savage Axis: $300 Hunter" by Nutnfancy

Make no mistake, the only reason that they want to take your guns is so that they can do things to you that they couldn't if you keep  your guns.

For among other evils caused by being disarmed, it renders you contemptible; which is one of those disgraceful things which a free man must guard against.

What we plant in the soil of contemplation, we shall reap in the harvest of action.
SquirrelHollow
Expert Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 04:55:21 PM »

I can't stand that piece of garbage, Nutnfancy. (nor do I care for his little cronies)

Nearly every video he posts shows illegal acts, poor gun handling, and just makes me want to punch him in the face.
I shoot or camp, in several of the desert and mountain locations he frequents for his videos.  I know them by heart, and have not seen a video, yet, that didn't include some kind of illegal act.

The opening of those two videos are just more examples...
In this state it is illegal to shoot from, across, down, or at a road (improved or not).  That road is on public land.
Not only does he shoot across that road in several dozen other videos as well, but there's a building less than 1/2 mile from that location.  You can see it in the background of the above videos and the Rem 700 SPS video.  So much for a backstop...

Did I mention there's also a military base in the background?  rolleyes

The one that really sent me over the edge, was an FAL video.  It ended up getting pulled by YouTube, after enough people reported it for illegal acts; but not before at least ten thousand people watched some one take pot-shots at a chemical weapons depot, over a highway, joking that "it won't hurt anything from here."  ...and then went on to skip bullets across the Great Salt Lake, with boats on the water.  angry

Garbage.  ...Just garbage.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 02:01:35 AM by SquirrelHollow » Logged
Cowboy T
More dies than guns

A true Liberal by definition MUST support the 2A!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 09:05:15 PM »

A guy I used to work with recently bought one.  He was getting terrible precision from it...until he cleaned the grease out of it.  grin  Afterwards, he reports that the rifle actually shoots pretty well.

I held one up at a couple of gun shows.  These were the .30-06 versions.  They are light, and the safety's a LOT quieter than the M77.  Still not silent like a Rem 700, though, but much better.  Those things actually can be had for $300.  During the Thanksgiving weekend at a Wal-Mart, I saw 'em for $297.

"The Official Token Liberal of Ammosmith.com!"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
---------------------------------------------
A true Liberal must by definition support the Constitution, and thus the 2A, 100%.  Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Technova
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 09:23:43 PM »

I was looking at an American, I had three gun shops an hour apart from each other tell me they had sold them and had people bring them back. Good accuracy but hard kick due to light weight.
All three recommended TC Venture for a little more money. They had not had any of them come back for trade in.
Odd that all 3 would say the same, they do not know each other.

45ACP, 44 Mag, 223, 22-250, 30 carbine, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, 30-06, 257 Weatherby, 30-30, 303 Brit, 7.5 French, .410, 20 GA, 12 GA.
Mighty Mosin
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 01:00:43 AM »

I finally had a chance to handle the Ruger American at my local store, if not shoot it. Very light weight.
I really liked the feel of the bolt and how smoothly it operated. To me it feels better than my stock Remington 700 bolt.

I just got the bolt lift for the Remington at Christmas and I have to say that it feels much better with that oversized knob now. My only gripe with the 700 is that you can get enough torque on the handle pushing forward to bind it up a bit.
SquirrelHollow
Expert Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 05:22:03 PM »

I could have sworn I posted a second time in this thread, addressing the original question.  I guess not.

I've spent a bit of time with some Americans, particularly one in .243 Winchester. 
It's a good rifle, almost entirely milled from bar stock (odd for Ruger), it has a pretty decent trigger, the price is reasonable, and they're just as accurate as (or better than) anything else out there.

My complaints:
1. The stock is very thin.  I don't like the way the fore-end or wrist feel in my hands.
2. Balance - it's far too muzzle-heavy (due to the hollow stock, of course).
3. The magazine ....  that thing is a joke.  It's a cheap, nearly-worthless hunk of cheap plastic; it barely locks into the action/stock; it rattles around, due to the poor engagement; capacity is not what you would expect; and the feed lips are thin little pieces of plastic.  With the .30-06 and .243 versions I've handled, loading a cartridge into the magazine was a 3-step process that required repositioning your hand twice, because of the ultra-cheap (non-existent) engineering that went into the design.

Out of all the "budget" rifles on the market (Savage/Stevens, Remington, Ruger, Marlin, Mossberg, etc.), I still rank it right up at the top with the Marlin X7s due to build quality and performance at the range.

But, that magazine is a deal-breaker for me.  It is the Achilles heel.
They're great shooters.  I could get used to the stock.  I could compromise on the balance.  I cannot stand that magazine.
Cowboy T
More dies than guns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 03:38:56 PM »

Someone went shooting with one of the engineers on the American Rifle design team.  The magazine is said to be designed for 5,000 insertions of rounds, 3,000 if you do it the shortcut way.  I have to agree, that magazine doesn't feel at all sturdy, though it does work.  Using the M77 magazine would've solved that problem nicely.  Wouldn't have cost much more to do it, since they already turn out plenty of those magazines.

I'm still considering one, but I'd like to see a good aftermarket mag for them.

A true Liberal must by definition support the Constitution, and thus the 2A, 100%.  Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
ammosmith.com Forums
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 03:38:56 PM »

Mighty Mosin
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 12:08:45 AM »

But, that magazine is a deal-breaker for me.  It is the Achilles heel.
They're great shooters.  I could get used to the stock.  I could compromise on the balance.  I cannot stand that magazine.
This is kind of funny that they cheaped out on the rotary magazine, especially when you look at how rugged the 10/22 rotary magazine is with the steel feed lips.
Cowboy T
More dies than guns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 07:40:20 PM »

We got a RAR in the shop in .308.  Somebody snapped that bad boy up BUT QUICK.  Fortunately, before they did, I got a chance to take a good look at the gun.  It does come with aluminum scope mounts on them.  The magazine actually locked up reasonably tightly, though like SquirrelHollow, I would've preferred something a little sturdier.  Replacement mags from Ruger are in the $25 to $30 range, way too expensive IMHO; that should be a $9.95 mag.

But the rifle handles GREAT.  It came right up to my shoulder, and granted you all are better at this than I am, but the only rifle that came more easily to my shoulder was Taurus's Circuit Judge, which apparently is a *PERFECT* fit for my body.  The RAR did nearly as well.  It just felt right.  The bolt is indeed smoother than the stock Rem 700's we have in the shop.  It just seems really easy to work the thing.

And yes, the rifle's definitely light.  But I've shot other rifles in .308 that were just as light, and since they had good buttpads on 'em (as the RAR does), it really wasn't so bad.  I don't foresee any problems with recoil with proper technique--heck, even *my* technique.

That bar-stock machining was a great idea.  The easier a part is to manufacture, the lower you can price it.  Smart move on Ruger's part.  I've read reports over the last few months that with a load the rifle likes, people are getting half-MOA and less if they remember to let that sporter-profile barrel cool down after a couple of shots.  But that's no different from the Remington Model 7 (got a buddy who has one, and he needs to let his cool down, too).

SquirrelHollow
Expert Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 09:23:02 PM »

Dan Newberry, of OCW load development fame, has been very impressed with the American:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516765
Mighty Mosin
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 12:11:59 AM »

The bolt is indeed smoother than the stock Rem 700's we have in the shop.  It just seems really easy to work the thing.
My local store had one in several weeks ago and I had a chance to look it over. While I didn't look at the magazine, I did appreciate the bolt lift. The lift was very nice and while I like my Rem 700, I wish the bolt was like the RAR.

I wish my Rem was as light as the RAR, but then it wouldn't be my Rem.
Fredsterman
Ammosmith Supporter
Expert Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 01:39:03 AM »

I bought one in 243 win. Excellent rifle as far as accuracy.
 The magazine does take some getting used to.
 I need to use the bullet point from a cartridge to hold the follower down to insert the first round. Then the mag can be loaded as usual. 

When you pry the gun from my cold dead hands. The barrel is going to be hot!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: