ammosmith.com Forums
October 26, 2014, 01:57:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Restoration - H&R Young America .22 short  (Read 4824 times)
xd9rottie
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2012, 04:27:56 PM »

Since I want to someday be able to say "I'm a gunsmith" today I pulled out a pair of H&R Young America 7 shot Revolvers. After much online research I've determined that the guns are maybe worth $50 each due to the poor condition. I inherited them from my grandmother who got them from her grandpa when she was a kid.

Based on the serial numbers I'm guessing these were made in the 1910's or 1920's.

The first gun is in the worst shape so I started there. Rust, pitting in some spots, a folded over nail replaced a lost pin, and the trigger reset sping is either gone or damaged because the trigger doesn't move forward like the other gun which is in much better shape.

Since I know these guns are basically worthless, I'm going to use them to further my knowledge and hone my skills Smiley

Step 1 , I've disassembled the first gun and sure enough broken parts started falling out. Luckily for me they are flat springs, I think I can make new ones.

I'm faced with some choices though. The trigger and guard are blued so here is a good chance for me to do some cold bluing. The rest of the gun is nickel plated. I can decide if I should complete refinish the gun (sand it down and blue the whole thing) or try and rescue the nickel finish...  Thoughts??

I'll try and get some pics going soon, maybe I should break into YouTube video's Wink lol
ammosmith.com Forums
« on: June 14, 2012, 04:27:56 PM »

Florida Cracker
Newbie - Stand back

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 09:25:03 PM »

Sounds like a great learning project, I look fwd to watching it progress.

Brian
NicNac
Ammosmith Supporter
More dies than guns

Gunny P-Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 09:39:33 PM »

Sounds like a great project. Look forward to the picture and progress.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
NRA-Life Member
"A free people ought... to be armed"  ~George Washington; some dead guy, Jan. 8, 1790
xd9rottie
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 11:04:39 PM »

Well here goes with the first pic's,  bare with me I'm still working on getting the pic hosting right...

I have two of these guns, so I'm keeping the "better' of the two un-altered as a comparison (a control if you will for this experiment)...

I'm sorry I should have thought ahead and took some "before" pics of the rust and grime on this gun, I just spent the last 6 hours cleaning, scrubbing, sanding, etc.

Then I spent the last 2 hours re-bluing the hammer, trigger, and trigger guard,  here are the first few pics, I tried to use the Super Macro mode on the camera, but I'm not sure they turned out very good....   The bluing job is now sitting on the bench, oiled up and curing for the night...

Caption: the re-blued trigger, guard, and hammer next to the "control" gun with it's cylinder removed (Safety first!)

Caption: close up shot of the hammers, bottom is the "control" gun

Caption: another "macro" shot, I think this is the best one where you can see the rust on the control gun vs the dark finish I managed to get on the other parts.

I'm thinking I will see what I can do to salvage the nickle finish first, if I screw up I can sand it down and blue the whole gun...   When I have some time I'm going to bust out the dremel tool and go to work on the rust spots and then give the whole frame a good shine.  After all that will come the truely hard part....   Trying to re-create parts that I have no idea how they looked int he first place Smiley  I'll worry about that once I get the finish done though...

Notes from this round:  The Birchwood Casey Blue kit seemed to work great, thought I did put a LOT of metal prep work into those parts.   I sat with a dremel tool for hours, sanding, polishing, and repeating, then switched to varous grades of steel wool.  I did NOT heat the parts up , they were "cold" room temp, I just cleaned and degreased with the provided cleaner, used the rust and blue remover EVEN though I had already sanded and polished away all that, then applied the first coat of blue.  Waited a little longer than the directions say, maybe 2 min, then rinsed the parts in cold water, dried, then rubbed down with very fine steel wool, then applied another coat of bluing.  I again waited about 2 min, rinsed in cold water, dried, then oiled the HECK out of those parts.   I used rem oil in a spray can to really soak them good and quick.

Now that they've been sitting on the bench a while the finish is starting to look even better

« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 11:15:34 PM by xd9rottie » Logged
xd9rottie
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 11:56:38 PM »

well since I couldn't sleep I stayed up a while and worked on the cylander.  All 7 chambers had lots of rust and nastyness in them.  Eventually I ended up trying the rust and blue remover, put some on a q-tip, let it soak 2 min then scrubbed the hell out of each chamber with a brass .22 cal bore brush.  After than, clean+degrease, then more q-tip action with some rem oil and more brushing...   It's still not done.

I also noticed that I haven't gotten all the rust out of the barrell just yet either.

Suggestions on a product that eats away rust for breakfest?
fla9-40
More dies than guns

- GO NOLES! 2013 National Champions

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 06:25:39 AM »

What about Naval Jelly?

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/s_trmt_naval/overview/Loctite-Naval-Jelly-Rust-Dissolver.htm

A gun is kind of like a parachute;
if you need one and don't have one,
you'll probably never need one again
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Welcome to my home..........FYI... that locked door you kicked down was for your protection....not mine.
xd9rottie
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 10:03:01 PM »

Excellent!  It's off to the hardware store tomorrow!   I wonder what other goodies I can find...  (maybe I'll stop at Harbor Frieght and get that drill press I've been looking at, I'd finally be able to get that bolt jeweled....)
xd9rottie
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 12:19:15 AM »

So I wasn't able to get a picture inside the chambers or bore, but I used the naval jelly and that seemed to work a lot better than the "Rust and Blue Remover" for really attacking this very old rust.   I think a few more treatments and I'll have it pretty well cleaned up.

Pic of that

And now for my next trick...

I looked ALL OVER the net for an exploded diagram on how to put this gun back together, and even Numrich just had a parts list with drawings of the parts, but nothing that showed the relationship of the parts.   A picture:

There is only one thing I'm not certain about, and that is the very tiny flat spring that shows up on top of the trigger assembly in this picture...

At first I thought the trigger return flat spring was missing, but as I was cleaning the frame it fell out...  It appears that in years past the trigger pin was lost, when that happened the return spring got stuck up inside the frame in some dirt, someone stuck a nail in place of the missing pin and continued to use the gun "single action style" ...

If anyone has any thoughts on that tiny flat spring I'm all ears.  Otherwise I'm going to spend a couple hours with the magnifiying glass trying to figure it outl....

HOPEFULLY someone will find this picture useful since there doesn't seem to be very many diagrams or pictures out on the net that shows how the internals of this gun work.

*****UPDATE*****  -  just after posting this I figured out that small spring...  It was almost in the correct spot, it's the return spring for the takedown rod lever (there's a lever that you push in, that allows you to pull out the rod that the cylendar rotates on, which allows the removal of the cylander.

So, looks like I'm well on my way to getting this thing back together...  Now I just have to make a slave pin or two, and make a replacement pin for the trigger.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 12:34:22 AM by xd9rottie » Logged
xd9rottie
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 02:07:56 AM »

Well as you can see by the timestamps I stayed up entirely too late at night putting this thing back together...

Right now, I need to make 2 pins (I dropped one on the shop floor and it departed for parts unknown  Sad   )....   The other was the nail holding the trigger.

The only funtional issue at this point is that the trigger will only reset about 99% of the way, that last little bit I have to ever so lightly put pressure forward till I get a click, and then double action works again.

Here is a pic to show it's back together, held by a drill bit and one of my pin punches....

Time for sleep!  The pins and fixing that last 1% of the reset can wait.
TheSuperfan99
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 10:22:07 AM »

Love this series! Great work!

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.  -Benjamin Franklin
Molon Labe -Leonidas
ammosmith.com Forums
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 10:22:07 AM »

fla9-40
More dies than guns

- GO NOLES! 2013 National Champions

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 03:30:42 PM »

Did the Naval Jelly do a good enough job for you?

A gun is kind of like a parachute;
if you need one and don't have one,
you'll probably never need one again
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Welcome to my home..........FYI... that locked door you kicked down was for your protection....not mine.
NicNac
Ammosmith Supporter
More dies than guns

Gunny P-Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 08:40:51 PM »

Wow XD, great thread. This gun is looking good.......................

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
NRA-Life Member
"A free people ought... to be armed"  ~George Washington; some dead guy, Jan. 8, 1790
xd9rottie
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 09:24:07 AM »

Haven't had time to make the two pins yet, I'm hoping to have time this week to try and finish this up.

As to the Naval Jelly- I think this product works as intended, but a word of caution as well, don't expect miricals in a bottle!  This gun had about 50 + years of neglect on it, even though I've had 2 sessions of Naval Jelly soak followed by brass brush scrub I'm still working rust out. Don't get me wrong it's a much better product for heavy rust, but I caution you to clean your guns often!

Now that I've figured out the trick to putting the gun together the next step is to figure out the reset problem. Prior to working on this gun the trigger didn't reset at all, so progress has been made. Now the issue is that when the trigger resets it doesn't quite "cam over" and click into place. I suspect that the arm that mates to the notch in the hammer is a bit rough yet.

I plan to further clean up the internals, and polish the mating surfaces for a smoother action.

More to come, thanks for your patience
xd9rottie
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 09:01:04 PM »

Sorry for the delay.

I made up the temporary pins and the reset issue was fixed by bending the spring back out just a touch.

My grandfather has a lathe so I'm going to make the "final pins" when I get access to it.

All in all I'm really proud of this one. This gun was pretty nasty.

I'm going to fix up the other one also at a later date. I'll be on to my next project shortly... I've just picked up a Ruger 10/22 and I'm going to trick it out. Stay tuned...
camerl2009
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 07:52:01 PM »

make sure you really clean out the naval jelly and not let it sit long because it will make steel brittle

Because the scumbags got lawyers and rights so the law lets them be while the honest hard working get shafted and fight to stay free

And don't forget That isn't your Martini you have.  It  belonged to others before you and will belong to others after you are gone.  Look after it, and pass it on with pride. It deserves it. i think this applys to all milsurps respect them care for them and leave them the way thay came.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: