ammosmith.com Forums
July 22, 2014, 03:58:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 12 ga Rio Hull Reloading Questions  (Read 3851 times)
ballhogjoni
Newbie - Stand back

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2012, 04:32:39 PM »

I just bought 100 Rio multi hull shells from cabelas and I can't find any load data for them using American Select powder. I was doing research on the hulls and I've read that they are cheddite hulls. Is that true? I found some load data for cheddite hulls and rio primers. This data calls for 18.1 grains of American Select powder and 1 1/8 #8 shot. Would it be safe to load 18.1 grains of American Select powder and 1 1/8 #6 shot and wt12 wads with these rio hulls and rio primers?
ammosmith.com Forums
« on: April 13, 2012, 04:32:39 PM »

r1kk1
More dies than guns

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 08:05:23 PM »

Call ballistic products

Take care
r1kk1
mdr8088
More dies than guns

Easter Bunny love 2A

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 10:10:20 AM »

Rio, Cheddite, Hornady(which are Cheddite), fiocchi, and federal are straight walled hulls.  I load my rangefind hornady, and my Fiocchi hulls like Federal hulls using Fed wads or Calybuster copies of them. I don't push max, because I've found to many differences in components.  Claybuster wads aren't exactly like the originals they copy.  Especially when using slugs in them.  I meassure the base wad thickness of the hull to compare identical looking hulls, figure if it's straight walled or tapered, and that narrows down your load data, even lets you check it against similar hulls.  I compare data to get what I feel is safe load data, then try it out.

Cat's aren't bad, I love Chinese food!
ballhogjoni
Newbie - Stand back

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 11:34:14 AM »

I was asking about the Rio hulls when I went to sportsman warehouse and they said those hulls are for slugs not shot. Is that true?
Reload3006
More dies than guns

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 11:43:33 AM »

it really doesn't matter what a shotgun shell started its life out as. Its what you put in it that matters. I have used several Slug empties to make shot shells and vice versa. As Mdr8088 said the biggest and most important consideration is finding a load that is safe. I dont worry to much about the hulls with the exception some are meant for a tapered wad others are straight. Pick your load to start by digging into all the load data you can find choose a load that gives you  the velocity you are looking for with the lowest pressure and start a little lower than there. then with a chronograph and a patterning board pattern your loads. If you are not smart and you try to load a magnum load using a fast trap n skeet powder you will blow up your shotgun. SO BE SURE TO CHECK Multiple sources for a safe starting load. Brand of hull IMO is not that big of a concern. Nor was what was in it from the factory.
mdr8088
More dies than guns

Easter Bunny love 2A

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 11:39:45 AM »

There's a lot of people that still look at the height of the brass and say that it's a slug or magnum shell, or see low brass and say it's a shot shell.  With modern shells there's no strength difference in the brass height.  Maybe that's what they were talking about.  I ran into a guy at our local Wallmart, that told me that.  He seen me stocking up on the Rem target loads.  I know people that hunt squirrel or crows with them.  They're cheap hulls.  I told him I was going to reload them with my slugs I was making.  He swore that was dangerous and I needed hi brass for slugs.  I was kind of surprised because this guy knows a lot about guns.  I've bought several off him and he knows his stuff.   

Cat's aren't bad, I love Chinese food!
Reload3006
More dies than guns

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 11:58:01 AM »

There is a big difference in knowing guns and knowing reloading and Ammo. The reason behind High Brass was in the black powder days the large charges of BP had a tendency to burn holes in the paper case so the answer was brass higher than the powder charge. Today it is only for SHOW Because people just like that guy dont know  what they are talking about. Because that is what they have always seen from the factory they believe thats the way its supposed to be. The factory keeps giving them high brass because its what the buying shooting public expects to see and they wouldn't buy it if it had no brass or low brass.
Cowboy T
More dies than guns

A true Liberal by definition MUST support the 2A!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 01:28:42 PM »

Thanks, Reload3006, because I was kinda wondering about that myself.  Richard Lee says something similar to what you said, and I see a lot of "high brass" being shot at the range.  I've only done a couple of slug loads w/ some cast 1oz slugs.  Took it nice 'n' easy with the load data using Clays.  Still thumped my shoulder some, but not as much as factory Remington Sluggers (O-U-C-H!!).

Funny that there are only two guys at the club who actually police their shotgun slugs.  Everybody else lets it lie right there.  Gotta love that.  :-)

"The Official Token Liberal of Ammosmith.com!"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
---------------------------------------------
A true Liberal must by definition support the Constitution, and thus the 2A, 100%.  Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: