Author Topic: Shotgun Slug and crimping  (Read 3905 times)

lukeisme

• Professional Reloader
    • View Profile
Shotgun Slug and crimping
« on: March 04, 2011, 11:21:43 PM »
OK So I got a smoking deal on a lee 12 ga slug mold today. So naturally I have to get after it. I have the lee load all.(great little easy to use unit) It does not allow a roll crimp..I think thats what it called it only does the star crimp. Do you have to roll crimp or can you use the star crimp?(sorry if I have the terms in-correct)

Ronbo

• Expert Reloader
    • View Profile
Re: Shotgun Slug and crimping
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 02:42:23 AM »
the roll crimp is nice but you can use a star crimp with a little shorter overpowder wad to let the star close up.  I used to drip a little candle wax on the crimp to keep it sealed.
stainless non-ranch mini-14, 1976 10/22, m77 MkI in .264 win mag, 2 x "Ronbo Special"  1911 GM's, .45 ACP and .40 Smith
3 Lee Pro 1000's in 9mm/.40 S&W, .45 ACP and .223 Rem.
"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

odies dad

• Professional Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 02:56:25 PM »
The Lee slug is set up for a regular star crimp.  I have been contemplating figuring out how to trim to the proper length to do a roll crimp, but haven't figured it out yet.

camerl2009

• Professional Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 04:33:59 PM »
The Lee slug is set up for a regular star crimp.  I have been contemplating figuring out how to trim to the proper length to do a roll crimp, but haven't figured it out yet.

cut a 1/4" off and then roll crimp

but a star crimp is good for the lee slug for id as a sulg i colour the base with a permanent marker or paint marker

lukeisme

• Professional Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 12:43:01 AM »
Well I loaded my first 10 tonight. I will test them this weekend hopefully will return with all my fingers...What I really want to do it to figure out how to make a homeade frangible rnd of some type. I guess I better start with the basics and go from there.

SKS50

• More dies than guns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 10:28:26 PM »
One thing that would help with loading the Lee slugs is to put a hard card under the base of the slug between it and the wad it keep the slug from digging into the plastic wad under recoil and hanging onto the slug once it leaves the bore which can have some affect on accuracy.

Roll crimp tool http://www.ballisticproducts.com/12-Gauge-Roll-Crimping-Tool/productinfo/ROLL12/ and demo video http://www.ballisticproducts.com/bpi/articleindex/articles/rollcrimp/rollcrimp.mpg

lukeisme

• Professional Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 08:47:44 PM »
Ok so the star crimp worked great for what I was trying to do. I loaded up several and test fired them got a nice 4 foot flame out of the barrell and reasonable accuracy up to 50 yards out of a smooth bore shotgun. Smooth slug and smooth barrell I expected less to be honest. But here again I am working on more of a frangible home defense round then a hunting round. I have been testing different compounds and so far I havent been sucessful but I feel that I am on the verge of getting it.