ammosmith.com Forums
November 24, 2014, 09:46:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shotgun Slug and crimping  (Read 2847 times)
lukeisme
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2011, 11:21:43 PM »

OK So I got a smoking deal on a lee 12 ga slug mold today. So naturally I have to get after it. I have the lee load all.(great little easy to use unit) It does not allow a roll crimp..I think thats what it called it only does the star crimp. Do you have to roll crimp or can you use the star crimp?(sorry if I have the terms in-correct)
Ronbo
Expert Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 02:42:23 AM »

the roll crimp is nice but you can use a star crimp with a little shorter overpowder wad to let the star close up.  I used to drip a little candle wax on the crimp to keep it sealed.

stainless non-ranch mini-14, 1976 10/22, m77 MkI in .264 win mag, 2 x "Ronbo Special"  1911 GM's, .45 ACP and .40 Smith
3 Lee Pro 1000's in 9mm/.40 S&W, .45 ACP and .223 Rem.
"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6"
odies dad
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 02:56:25 PM »

The Lee slug is set up for a regular star crimp.  I have been contemplating figuring out how to trim to the proper length to do a roll crimp, but haven't figured it out yet.
camerl2009
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 04:33:59 PM »

The Lee slug is set up for a regular star crimp.  I have been contemplating figuring out how to trim to the proper length to do a roll crimp, but haven't figured it out yet.

cut a 1/4" off and then roll crimp

but a star crimp is good for the lee slug for id as a sulg i colour the base with a permanent marker or paint marker

Because the scumbags got lawyers and rights so the law lets them be while the honest hard working get shafted and fight to stay free

And don't forget That isn't your Martini you have.  It  belonged to others before you and will belong to others after you are gone.  Look after it, and pass it on with pride. It deserves it. i think this applys to all milsurps respect them care for them and leave them the way thay came.
lukeisme
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 12:43:01 AM »

Well I loaded my first 10 tonight. I will test them this weekend hopefully will return with all my fingers...What I really want to do it to figure out how to make a homeade frangible rnd of some type. I guess I better start with the basics and go from there.
SKS50
More dies than guns

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 09:28:26 PM »

One thing that would help with loading the Lee slugs is to put a hard card under the base of the slug between it and the wad it keep the slug from digging into the plastic wad under recoil and hanging onto the slug once it leaves the bore which can have some affect on accuracy.

Roll crimp tool http://www.ballisticproducts.com/12-Gauge-Roll-Crimping-Tool/productinfo/ROLL12/ and demo video http://www.ballisticproducts.com/bpi/articleindex/articles/rollcrimp/rollcrimp.mpg
lukeisme
Professional Reloader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 07:47:44 PM »

Ok so the star crimp worked great for what I was trying to do. I loaded up several and test fired them got a nice 4 foot flame out of the barrell and reasonable accuracy up to 50 yards out of a smooth bore shotgun. Smooth slug and smooth barrell I expected less to be honest. But here again I am working on more of a frangible home defense round then a hunting round. I have been testing different compounds and so far I havent been sucessful but I feel that I am on the verge of getting it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: