ammosmith.com Forums
October 31, 2014, 06:11:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Building your own shotmaker......  (Read 9355 times)
FunFire
Newbie - Stand back

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2009, 02:40:45 AM »

Hi,

Anyone out there that has any ideas/plans on how to build a shotmaker to make your own lead shots from wheelweights ?
I would like to make really nice shot, otherwise I don’t think that it is worth doing.
I have looked at Littleton and The Better Shotmaker but think that they are rather expensive and I am not sure what you will actually get. See quite some postings that people are not happy about the quality of the shots, the performance and the reliability.

Very interesting would be to know how the valves should be done. Anyone that know how they work on the Littleton and The Better Shotmaker ?

Best regards
FunFire
ammosmith.com Forums
« on: November 03, 2009, 02:40:45 AM »

harleymag
Newbie - Stand back

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 12:45:55 AM »

You may be able to obtaian acceptable results by pouring a thin stream of lead into water.
cgillette
Newbie - Stand back

reloading anything i can

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 08:56:22 AM »

I have used them in the past. I also should say that the unit was old and the owner of it did not keep his lead clean. Saying that i wasn't impressed with the results. I am not sure if it was the fault of the shot maker or the lead put in. Given a guess i would say the lead.
But all that being said I have thought about getting a new one. The shot will not be like the bags of shot you can get at  a sporting goods store but if you look it over it will work for clay. Just put a little graphite on it mix it up and load. Just my thoughts Gillette
tsxshooter
Expert Reloader

YOu learn the most from the deer you miss

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 03:38:57 PM »

Along a creek I like to go hiking there is a brick shot tower from the 1800s Anyways they poured molten lead over a screen and let it fall 50 feet into water to make shot. It air cooled on the way down and the water would break its fall.

jppr26
Read the manual

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 05:32:36 PM »

if you can get a nice slow steady dribble adn sprayed it with a weed sprayer on mist while it is falling it might work i think, but if you just let it run into a bucket of water it will fourm into sharp dropplets that kina look like feathers if from a short drop.

Plumbers and Steamfitters Local 290
2nd Gen. Plumber
stitch
Newbie - Stand back

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 08:11:53 PM »

littleton makes a shot maker that is suppose to work pretty good and youtube has some videos of homemade ones, I made one based on the littleton model and the shot turned out poorly so i gave up, but I did have some good results with a type of design that used a wooden drop bar submerged in water, I found a patent somewhere online that showed how some mass producers made shot, forget what it was called, but I couldnt get that one to flow decent( the patent calls for a vibration to control the flow) and it was much more involved then I wanted to get.Lead Shot making
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 07:04:41 PM by stitch » Logged
stitch
Newbie - Stand back

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 07:19:11 PM »

here are a few different designs, feel free to try any of them, of course if you mass produce the machines for resale you would need to pay whomever owns the patent, but for your own use....

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4274819.html

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4108927.html

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4369023.pdf
moskeeter
Newbie - Stand back

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 04:12:33 AM »

An electric frying pan can be made to work by drilling 5/64 inch holes in one corner for #9 shot, 3/32 inch holes in another corner for bigger shot. Simply cant the pan so that as the lead melts it drips out of the appropriate sized holes. Have a container of used Automatic Transmission Fluid no more than three inches below where the lead is dripping out. Afterwards roll the shot in a clean cement mixer for one hour to ensure that all of your shot is perfectly round. The cleaner the lead: the better the shot.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: